Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Antifreeze Warning

This is the time of year when antifreeze appears in abundance and dogs are attracted to its sweet, syrupy aroma and the taste of ethylene glycol, the highly toxic chemical component of antifreeze. Although antifreeze is not a “food” that your dog can ingest, I thought it prudent to mention how fast and furious small amounts of ingested antifreeze can kill your beloved dog.

Each year more than 10,000 dogs and cats in North America are killed by licking up antifreeze. Death occurs in 88 percent of antifreeze cases, according to the BC SPCA. Early symptoms include staggering and disorientation: trouble keeping their balance, like a bit of a drunken sailor. Besides staggering and lack of coordination, disorientation and vomiting are common. Chances of survival increase with immediate veterinary treatment. Emergency vet clinics can provide the antidote. Keep antifreeze up and out of harm’s way -- for your dog’s sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment