If that is your spirit, there are no shortage of great causes to donate to come this time of year. North Delta-based Christmas for the Critters caught my eye because it seems very grassroots. I thought I’d give the organization’s Angela Chisholm the opportunity to tell you about their very special program:
Christmas for the Critters is a North Delta-based charity drive to raise much needed items and supplies for the homeless animals at the Delta Community Animal Shelter.
We will be accepting donations right up until December 24th. The holidays can be a very difficult time for animal shelters. Fewer available foster homes, fewer available volunteers, less donations, less adoptions. Many people buy puppies as Christmas gifts for their loved ones from pet stores or breeders, when they could just as easily adopt instead of shop!
By spreading the word about Christmas for the Critters, we are hoping to give some of these homeless animals homes this Christmas as well as raise supplies for the ones still waiting for their forever homes. We are hoping that, by bringing exposure to this charity drive, more people will realize the benefits of adopting vs. shopping. By doing so, we are hoping to reduce the rate of animal homelessness in not just our community, but the whole Lower Mainland.
One issue that we are also trying to convey to the public is that of spaying and neutering, and why it is the responsible and humane thing to do. Did you know that (theoretically) a female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in a six year period, while a female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 kittens in a seven year period? If everyone in BC spayed and neutered their dogs and cats, our country’s homeless animal and shelter euthanization statistics could be drastically lowered. Please help us spread the word about Christmas for the Critters, and help us help the animals!
ITEMS & SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR DONATION:
- Good quality wet foods for dogs and cats
- Good quality dry foods for dogs and cats (such as Innova or Natural Balance)
- Good quality wet & dry KITTEN FORMULA foods
- Bedding; old blankets, comforters, towels, and pet beds
- Dog chews; bullysticks, rawhides, cooked bones, and Nylabones (or similiar)
- Litterboxes and scoops
- Cat litter
- Cat toys
- Small animal bedding and litter; wood shavings, wood pellets, etc.
- Small animal food
- Small animal toys and 'hide-outs'
- Dog, cat, and small animal treats (such as dog biscuits, temptations, and timothy hay)
- Laundry soap
- Dish soap
ITEMS & SUPPLIES NOT ACCEPTED FOR DONATION:
- Clay cat litters
- Covered litterboxes
- Fitted sheets
- Towels with a large amount of rips and/or holes
DONATION BOX LOCATIONS:
- Hungry Hound Pet Food & Supply: #102 - 455 E. Columbia St, New Westminster
- Esquires Coffee House: 11146B 84 Ave, Delta
- Bosley's: 100-8047 120 Street, Delta
- Forcefed Performance: #202 - 30701 Simpson Rd, Abbotsford
- Annieville Elementary: 9240 - 112 St, Delta
- Pet Solutions Supermarket & Grooming: 6447 - 120 St, Delta
For more information, you can visit Christmas for the Critters on Facebook. And thank you for your support!