Editor’s Note: One of our clients, Josh, owns Wrangler, the sweetest boxer on the planet who is slowly becoming paralyzed. Josh’s blog is heartwarming and heartbreaking but full of useful information. I wanted him to tell you all about it in his own words. -- Tammy
By Josh Davies, Vancouver, B.C.
I am the owner of a 10-year-old boxer named Wrangler who has Degenerative Myelopathy. Finding information on Degenerative Myelopathy can be difficult. It’s surprising how little information there is and even how little some vets seem to know.
In Wrangler’s case I actually figured out he had DM by talking to other people and searching online. I found lots of touching websites where pet owners have built tributes to their pets who have struggled with DM, however, I have yet to find a one stop place for all things DM. Things like pet stories, product reviews, vet stories, approved kennels, and advice and tips among other things.
I hope to be able to tell Wrangler’s story while talking about all the little day to day things you may encounter while caring for a pet with DM.
Some of the goals for the site are:
1) Provide first hand experience with caring for a pet with DM.
2) Review products that can help with caring for your pet.
3) Reviews of overnight care facilities in different cities. (kennels)
4) Guest bloggers by people with pets that have DM.
5) Vet Stories
6) Non Profit -- A long term goal is to raise enough money to buy an Eddie’s Wheels cart and donate it to someone who can’t afford to buy a cart on their own.
7) Organize a dog cart walk to raise awareness about DM.
Visit MyDogHasDM or contact Josh via e-mail.