Friday, December 7, 2012

Tips From A Professional Pet Sitter

It’s the season when we dog sitters become inundated with last minute requests for pet sitting. The holidays are rapidly approaching, which often leads to last minute vacation plans and a sudden need to have your precious pooch cared for in a more hands-on and loving manner then a kennel environment or large care facility provides.

Please keep pet sitting requirements in mind when you are making your vacation plans. I highly recommend you book peak vacation times (Christmas, Spring Break, Easter, Long Weekends, etc.) as far in advance as possible to ensure your favorite sitter is available to care for your pooch!

Before you go away on your next business trip or family vacation, remember to speak to your family vet and forward an “Absent Owner Consent” form or ensure you have filled out the one we keep on file at Love on a Leash. In the event of an emergency your wishes will be met and your pet will have proper care administered as quickly as possible.

The following list helps ensure your dog receives the best of care while you are away:

  • Ensure all your dog’s daily requirements will be met – food, fresh water, medication, health issues, walks, playtime, kisses & hugs.
  • Inform your family vet you are away and who your pet sitter will be.
  • Discuss your pet’s current health concerns with your vet and your wishes regarding the care of your pet while you are away. 
  • Ensure your pet-sitter has the following information: your contact information, vet contact details, pet emergency preferences, and adequate supply of medications & full disclosure of your dog’s health history and concerns, behavioral issues, plus financial information for emergencies.

Remember that all pet sitters are not the same. Ask for references and credentials. Ideally your pet sitter should be licensed with the city they are working in, as well as bonded and insured. Your pet sitter should be certified in pet first aid and belong to a professional organization such as Pet Sitter’s International or the All Canadian Pet Sitters Network and your sitter should have a web site posting information and rates in a professional and concise manner.

As an accredited pet sitter, I can tell you that we take our job seriously and will do everything in our power to ensure your dog’s stay with us is as comfortable, safe, fun and loving as possible for your dog.

At Love on a Leash we truly adore our doggy clients and they love us right back! We are so very proud of the testimonials we so often receive from our clients. I’d like to share a few of them with you here:

From Jacqui Kempton (owned by weimaraner, Bowen):
I met Tammy and her sister Shelly about three years ago now when I was searching for a special place to leave my dog for two weeks. It is difficult to find dog care that will truly reflect a proper family home environment. After searching we found Love on a Leash and have been grateful ever since. As you may well know, weimaraners can be fairly needy and it takes a special person to understand them, once again Love on a Leash knew exactly what to do and what not to do.
 Their ability to understand and care for dogs is of the highest calibre. They accommodate Bowen’s raw diet with great ease, it is something they understand and appreciate. I would highly recommend Love on a Leash to anyone looking for quality dog care in a warm, comfortable environment. Bowen is a very special part of our family and we would not leave him with just anyone. 
You’ll be in amazing hands with sisters, Tammy and Shelly!

From Gina (owned by The Weiners, Katsu & Enoki)
I first met Tammy through a wonderful dog-friendly event that Love on a Leash was hosting, benefiting a registered pet charity that I support. When I needed care for my beloved dogs, she was the first one I called. Soon after, we set up an initial meet and greet. I was extremely pleased with her level of professionalism and the questions she asked regarding my dogs’ care.
Tammy provided me with several caregiver options, and I chose the one who I felt was the best fit. It was clear that if I changed my mind on my choice of caregiver after the meeting, that it would not be a problem. I was extremely pleased with my caregiver choice and it was clear that my dogs would bond with her quickly. 
My first stay with Love on a Leash was in September of 2011 and I’ve had several stays was in 2012. They will absolutely be my number one choice for care again in the future. My dogs came home tired, happy and calm. I even received fun photos and updates while I was away. Tammy and her team go above and beyond to ensure the experience is a positive one. I do not hesitate to recommend Love on a Leash. In fact, I recommend them all the time! 
I am the first to say that I am an attached owner and was extremely leery to leave my dogs with anyone I did not know. This is amplified by the fact that my dogs have specific needs and issues that caregivers need to be mindful of (sensitive backs, inability to walk up/down stairs, strict dietary requirements). My attitude towards leaving them has changed entirely, now that I have found Tammy and her wonderful team. I also regularly hire one of her local dog walkers, who my dogs absolutely adore. 
Since discovering Love on a Leash, I have no worries or guilt about going on vacation and leaving my precious ones behind. I know they will be loved and cared for in the same manner I love and care for them. They are the Holy Grail of pet sitters!
If you’d like to see more testimonials from our clients, you can see them on our web site.


No comments:

Post a Comment